Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How to Build 880 Gallon Water Storage in a Small Space

How to Build 880 Gallon Water Storage in a Small Space



The first step is to come up with a design.  As you can see from the picture, I made wood pillar between each tank of water.  Using formulas online I found to figure out the strength I would need (see the following website: https://www.cecalc.com/WoodDesign/WoodTension.aspx) I was able to find out how much I would need to support my load.  A gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs and each of my blue barrels has 55 gallons (8 X 55 = 440 lbs per barrel).  My design holds 16 barrels (16 X 440 = 7040).  I decided to be safe, I would make sure my design could hold 10,000 lbs.


Once I had the basic design finished, I reinforced each pillar with an additional 2x4 and added woold panels to each side.  I then anchored the entire platform to the wall on two points--the wall is an outside wall made out of concrete. 


To make sure the barrels did not roll around, I cut barrel shapes into the supporting beam of the water barrels.



This picture below shoes the reinforced pillars.


This is the completed structure with 16 full barrels.



 This project cost me around 400 dollars and only a day to build.  It was a simple, fun project and does not take that much space.  














No comments:

Post a Comment