Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Make a Secret Door in you House for less than $300 Dollars

Make a Secret Door in you House for less than $300 Dollars


NORMAL LOOKING PANTRY THAT IS TUCKED UNDER STAIRWELL


 PUSH BACK ON SHELF TO REVEAL A SECRET ROOM

 TUCKED UNDER STAIRS YOU'VE GOT A FEW TOYS


BASIC DESIGN

The shelves should fit snug in the given area, but not so tight so they are not rubbing up against the wall when they are being opened and closed.  I left about a quarter of an inch on either side.  The rest of the design of the shelf unit is pretty standard.

To help guide the direction of the shelf unit, I used standard pulleys and a quarter inch metal rods (see the top of the picture).  They helped carry some of the weight and keep the shelving on track.

To hold the majority of the weight, I used piano dolley wheels (any heavy duty wheels will work).  I also made a metal track out of some scrap metal to keep the wheels on track.  I then had to balance the weight between the pulleys and the wheels.  It took a little time, but one I finished, I figured my weight distribution was about 80% on the wheels and 20% on the pulleys.    


 THIS IS THE QUARTER INCH IRON RODS AND PULLEYS


The whole project was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be.  Once I had the pulley/iron rod system figured out, it was not that difficult at all.  The whole project cost me just under $300 dollars.  This is only phase one of this project.  I also plan on putting up  molding around the edges of the shelf to make it appear seamless.  That should not be too difficult, but I have saved that for another day.      

No comments:

Post a Comment